MFA - University of California - Los Angeles
Co-Founder/Producing Artistic Director, New Stage Collective
BM - New York University Steinhardt
Electronic Music Design
Dean of Theater,
New World School of the Arts
Assistant Professor & Head of Musical Theater, Ohio University
Associate Professor & BFA Program Coord., University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
Alan Patrick Kenny leads the New World School of the Arts' Theater Division as Dean of the program. As the chief academic and artistic officer for theater, Alan oversees the administration of high school and college programs in the division, and is an integral member of Miami Dade College and Campus management teams. He also engages in recruitment of college and high school students looking to pursue a career in theater, works closely with the faculty and guest artists, and explores innovative opportunities to augment the artistic training of the students. Alan Patrick Kenny is a seasoned artist, theater director, musician, producer, and educator.
Alan Patrick Kenny’s artistic career spans over 85 professional and academic productions. As the Head of Musical Theater at Ohio University, he led the creation and development of the school’s new BFA in Performance – Musical Theater track and created and launched an undergraduate certificate program in Actor – Musicianship. Alan served as the BFA Musical Theatre Program Coordinator and tenured Associate Professor at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.
As an NYU student, he started a no-budget summer theater company in his hometown, Cincinnati, OH, called New Stage Collective. As the Producing Artistic Director, he led his company through 7 seasons, 32 productions, 22 regional premieres, 21 production awards, and 53 award nominations.
Alan Patrick Kenny holds an MFA in Directing from UCLA and a Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance – Music Theatre from NYU Steinhardt. He also has a professional career as a music theater pianist, music director and conductor, and currently works as a music technology specialist for music theater for various international companies on many productions for Real-time Music Solutions and Right On Cue Services. Alan is an active member of the Musical Theatre Educators’ Alliance and has presented research at several conferences.
Alan Patrick Kenny’s theater credits:
– OHIO: Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812, Spring Awakening, and Eighty-Sixed (Tantrum Theater, OHIO’s professional theater); Sibyl, and Cabaret (School of Theater).
– UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN--STEVENS POINT: Metamorphoses, Dogfight, On the Twentieth Century, Carousel, The Producers, Monty Python’s Spamalot, How to Succeed…, …Spelling Bee, Next to Normal, and Lucky Stiff.
– NEW STAGE COLLECTIVE (select credits): Jerry Springer: The Opera, The Goat, BUG, Sunday in the Park…, Caroline or Change, and The History Boys.
– OTHER CINCINNATI: See What I Wanna See, Equus, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and Adding Machine: The Musical.
– REGIONAL: Utah Shakespeare Festival, Smokey Joe’s Cafe (national tour), Holland America Line, Know Theatre of Cincinnati, Odyssey Theatre Ensemble, Cincinnati Playhouse, and the Geffen Playhouse. He has assisted directors Robert Falls, Jonathan Moscone, Ed Stern, Michael McLain and Robert Kelley.
Publications include “Hamilton and the Liminal Director: Navigating the Space Between Writer and Star,” co-authored with Mary Jo Lodge, published in Dueling Grounds: Revolution and Revelation in the Musical Hamilton by Oxford University Press.